Johnson County Emergency Management Agency
122 Hout St
Warrensburg Mo 64093 660-747-2666
Individuals with Disabilities and Others with Access and Functional Needs
How To Make A Plan & Create A Support Network
How might a disaster affect me? What are my personal needs during a disaster? By evaluating your own individual needs and making an emergency plan that ﬁts those needs, you and your loved ones can be better prepared.
Here are three easy steps to start your emergency communication plan:
1. Collect information.
- Create a paper copy of the contact information including phone, email, and social media info for your family, friends, caregivers, neighbors and other important people/offices, such as medical facilities, doctors, schools, workplace contacts or service providers.
- Add information for connecting through relay services on a landline phone, mobile device and computer, if you are Deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use traditional relay services or video relay service (VRS).
2. Share your emergency plans with the trusted people in your support network – tell them:
- Where your emergency supplies are kept
- What you need and how to contact you if the power goes out
- If you will call, email or text agreed upon friends or relatives if you’re unable to contact each other directly
- What medical devices or assistive technology devices that you need to have with you if there is an evacuation order from local officials
- Your plans to remain independent if you require oxygen or mechanical ventilation
3. Practice your plan with your support network, just like you would a fire drill.
- Discuss your needs and/or the needs of a family member; learn about their assistance or services. Advocate including people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs into emergency planning in your community.
- Talk with your employer about your emergency plan, and find out how your employer includes the needs of people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs.
Build a Kit